I wanted a quick sew project for instant sewing gratification after finishing all my UFOs. So I opted to make a sweatshirt using Burda 7148. The fabric is bog standard sweatshirt fleece bought from Goldhawk Road. It’s super snug but as it’s warmed up proper here not well timed!
I made view B omitting the skirt part of the pattern, although I do like the sweater dress variation and will give that a go in the future. I also like the kangaroo pockets which are great for cold hands but left this out as I wanted a simple top.
I didn’t toile the pattern and made fit changes as I sewed. I cut a size 10 and found the sleeves way too wide so I tapered the underarm seam in by a couple of cms. I also hated the neckline. I tried the top on with the neckband half sewn and the opening was cavernous.
To fix this I decided to build up the neckband. Instead of turning the neckband over to form a binding, I cut another piece of the neckband and sewed the two neckband pieces together to form a funnel neckband. I looks a bit spaceman like when I wear it like so.
However, I like the style with the back turned up and the front turned down. It tends to flip up at the front so I’ll tack it down.
The pattern calls for you to hem up the sleeves but I liked clean finish of the neckband so I drafted some for the sleeves and hem. I think the bands make the top look a bit smarter than your average sweatshirt. I’ll make a smaller neck opening next time and will taper the sleeves in more too.
I really happy with my finished sweatshirt and think it could pass for something in Cos. More minimalist chic, less astronaut!