This is my last UFO, Simplicity 2418. I think I began making this pattern at the beginning of 2014 but poor fabric choice meant this project came to a halt. I originally chose a clingy poly crepe which went straight from machine to bin.
This time round I went for a grey polka dot viscose which is perfect for this pattern as it wants to partner with a slinky fabric. I went off piste and didn’t cut the fabric on the bias as the print didn’t work from that angle. Cutting on the straight made no difference to the overall look of the top as I was using viscose. I’ll cut on the bias next time if using a print that isn’t directional.
I sewed size 10, view A and made a few changes to the pattern. I reduced the fullness in the gathers at the back by 2 cm as they puffed out a lot, lengthened the yoke at the front by 1 cm and back by 1.5 cm and extended the sleeve edge of the yoke by 0.5 cm. I also shortened the bodice by about 8 cm as view A is tunic length. I didn’t bother making the tie belt.
This is the first time I’ve worked with viscose and it’s now one of my favourite fabrics. It has a soft handle and drapes beautifully. Plus it’s a natural fibre, so no static. I’m really happy with this top and I can see it in heavy rotation now that the weather has warmed up. This pattern is a straight forward sew and a new TNT. It’s a versatile pattern and I can see lots of these tops in my wardrobe. I’ve even cut out my next iteration in navy blue linen. The yoke is crying out for colour blocking and it’d look cool in lace too.
It’s been very satisfying tackling my UFO mountain, rather like having a sewing spring clean. Now that I’ve sewed my way through all my UFOs, I can finally start some new projects, yay! My aim is to be disciplined and not have too many UFOs by the end of the year.