FO: ByHand London Victoria blazer

SAM_5047

I’ve been meaning to make the Victoria blazer in a soft drapey linen but it took an age to find fabric in the right colour and weight. I eventually found some lovely teal linen from Simply Fabrics in Brixton but it felt wrong to be making a summer jacket at the end of September. So I cut up some brown needlecord for a trial run. It’s been in my stash for a while as I was really stuck as to what to do with it. I just didn’t feel inspired. There were many times it nearly ended up in a fabric swap bag. However, once it started to resemble a garment, I started to feel the love. Do you get that sometimes, where you end up liking a fabric that was a bit meh, once you start sewing?

SAM_5057

If you want to make a jacket and are a beginner, I’d recommend going with this pattern. Sewing up was easy peasy. The only head scratching moment was the bit where you sew up the darts and collar all in one go but after consulting the sew-a-long pics on the BHL blog everything became clear. It was so quick to sew and the instructions were excellent. They come in a handy booklet, which works much better than a massive sheet of paper.     SAM_5055

I didn’t make a toile for this, as it was a slouchy design and I guessed it would be more forgiving. I shortened the jacket by 2 inches as I’m 5’ 3” and sewed up a UK size 10. Although I like the length, I think the style calls for that extra length in the back and I’ll make my next version straight up without any changes. I decided to fully line the jacket by cutting a pair of sleeves to add to my lining. Not sure why the pattern instructs you to partially line the jacket, leaving the sleeves unlined as it’s not complicated to do.

SAM_5058

I made sure I cut all my pieces in the same direction, as corduroy has a nap. I checked the nap on the collar, lapels and cuffs were all facing the right way when sewing up so it was all matchy matchy. I chose to have the nap face up (if that makes sense) as the corduroy appears darker this way. Basically when I stroke the fabric downwards, the nap feels rough.SAM_5048

I did quite a lot of extra hand stitching to finish off the jacket which I did in front of the telly watching Downtown. To ensure the lining didn’t poke out I made tiny prick stitches all along the opening of the jacket. I also tacked the seam allowance of the collar to the lining to stabilize the collar. I preferred the lapels to lie flat too so tacked them as well. I also tacked the cuffs ups rather than top stitching them and added a sweet butterfly button to stop them from flapping about.

SAM_5059    SAM_5055

The jacket is so comfy and I love it. The needlecord is supersoft and ideal for nippy autumn days. My favourite feature is the super sharp collar and the lining. I went to town on the lining which is Liberty tana lawn. Although it’s from Liberty’s remnant bin it still cost more than the fashion fabric but I thought I’d indulge myself. The unfastened style means lots of flashes of lining so it’s good to use something a bit special.

Isn’t it just lovely. I want to have a whole set of Victoria’s. One in linen, one in wool, one in a print, one in plaid….

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to FO: ByHand London Victoria blazer

  1. I was busy admiring the lining, then I read to the end and saw that it was Liberty!! Gorgeous. It works really well against the needlecord. Really lovely.

  2. gingermakes says:

    Gorgeous! I love this style and it looks really great in needlecord!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s