On top of wearing an item of handmade everyday in May, I challenged myself to make a pair of trousers by the end of the month. I confess I had intended to make a Burda pattern but the toile was an abomination and required far too many changes. So for plan B, I went with this easy pattern which I finished just before the last day of May, yay!
It’s the trouser part of the jump suit from the Great British Sewing Bee’s Fashion with Fabric book. Same pattern with just a lower cutting line for the waist. The trousers were a straightforward sew and I made very few changes to the pattern. I pegged the trousers too much, so they’re a bit tight round my calves and will stick to the original stitch line next time. I eyeballed the pattern placement and it looks great from the front but was a bit tardy with the back. But it’s at the back so out of sight and mind!
These trousers were a quick sew and I love this pull on elasticated style. Funny how tastes change. I used to associate elasticated trousers with frumpsville, polyester and beige.
I wanted a light pair of holiday trousers and used this graphic print viscose from my stash. They are perfect holiday wear and the only thing missing from them are pockets. I’m glad I got round to sewing this pattern as it’s been on my to sew list since I got the book last year. It’s now a TNT. Who knew that quick sew trouser patterns existed! I’m planning more iterations in solids for work.
Self drafted skirt
I thought I’d write a post on #mmmay16 as it’s helpful to document what worked and what didn’t for next time. I challenged myself to wear an item of handmade clothing everyday AND make a pair of trousers by the end of May. I’m pleased to say I accomplished both, pause for fist pump moment. Check out Instagram to see more of what I wore.
Bettine and self drafted Mexican oil cloth bag
Being on Instagram made it so much easier to document my daily outfits. I also loved getting feedback and seeing what everyone was wearing. I failed to complete Me Made May last year as I couldn’t be bothered taking photos for the blog. I know it’s not about the pictures but documenting it on IG did help me finish.
BHL Victoria Jacket and SOI Ultimate trousers
I tried not to have too many repeats and wore stuff that doesn’t normally get a lot of love. I fell in love with a few oldies and have made mental notes to revisit some patterns. That’s the genius of MMMay, you often rediscover old gems as well as the gaps in your wardrobe.
Simplicity 2451 – must make more!
So how did I find it? I have a wardrobe full of me made clothes so it wasn’t hard to find something to wear each day. I’ve ventured into making trousers and outerwear so there was more variety this time round. I’ve added Lindens to my arsenal of Plantains and Renfrews for weekend wear. I didn’t wear many me-made outfits as my wardrobe is a riot of print and colour so definitely need to sew more solids. I wore over 20 tops so need to sew more bottoms.
Port Elizabeth top – was a bit meh about this but it got a lot of likes on IG
The patterns I want to revisit are Simplicity 2451 skirt, Simplicity 2418 cowl top and the Lisette Portfolio top. I really enjoyed the challenge this year and will definitely do it again. How did MMMay go for you?
I was determined to make a skirt out of this wool remnant bought from Guthrie and Ghani and chose to go with the Chardon from Deer and Doe. I only had 0.8 metres of wool to play with but being stubborn, ploughed on despite being about a metre short.
I had to sacrifice the number of pleats, pockets and facing due to lack of fabric but I’m pleased with the end result. There are 3 pleats at the front and 2 at the back rather than 5 and 4.
I fully lined the skirt and used some African wax fabric to fashion a waistband. I didn’t have enough wool to cut the facing but this works better as wool would be itchy against the skin. The skirt is meant to be high waisted but my version sits below my waist. I love the deep bottle green wool and it goes well with my Mimi blouse.
I’ll definitely make this again with the right amount of fabric next time! I forget about making skirts for the colder months and it’s nice to have a handmade skirt for winter. I’d say my handmade wardrobe is definitely biased towards spring/summer such is the draw of pretty cotton prints.
Recently I’ve been re-visiting patterns soon after my first make as it’s easier to fix any design or fit issues whilst construction is still fresh. If I go back to a pattern after a few months, I’ve usually forgotten if changes were needed.
For my second GBSB woven shift I scooped out the neckline and used some bias binding to finish it rather than the suggested facing. I also lengthened the dress as my original alteration was a bit on the short side. I still found sewing the hem tricky. The pattern uses bias to finish the hem which splits at the side seam. Getting the bias tape to merge into the side seam is fiddly and involves a bit of hand sewing. I top stitched my hem and chalked my stitch line at the side seam to get a nice finish. The print is lighter than my first iteration so any wonky top stitching would show.
I used a cotton poplin that had been in my stash a while. I love this abstract print and have been saving it for a shift dress. The cotton has just the right amount of body and is the perfect weight for a summer dress. I’m obsessed with shift dresses at the moment. They are so easy to wear and can be smart or casual depending on fabric choice. There’s the added bonus of not being restricted around the tummy area.
This dress came together really quickly and is perfect for stash busting. Expect to see more iterations on this blog.